Monday, September 20, 2010

First Day

Jim and I spent time working on a project for one of his clients today. He took me on a tour of the studio, which made me excited, and finally, we ended in the control room in which there were two enormous computer screens set up side by side. Underneath them was an overwhelming amount of controls with plugs and lights in columns and rows. I was extremely intimidated. This surprised me because I felt like that view would be the only part of this business that I would be used to seeing. On One Tree Hill, a television show, a character named Peyton owns her own record label. Also, she has a recording studio at her office. So I understood what a control room was and what it looked like, but seeing one on TV is entirely different from seeing one in real life. Jim continued to use the computer software programs while I tried to follow along and soak in some of the information he was explaining to me. He said that being a sound engineer involves understanding physics. I related this to the physics class that I took last year at my high school. Jim went on to explain all of the scary controls in front of us. Mostly, I understood that they were all similar units. However some buttons could make the editing process more precise than others could. There were knobs for volume, for something that I had never heard of called “EQ”, and more. At the top, there was a box that Jim said was called “A to D”, meaning analog to digital. Say perhaps you plug in a microphone and the cord transfers the actual vocals to digital lines on the computer. Mostly, when I left Allusion Studios, my brain felt fried. I believe that I tried so hard to contain all of the information Jim told me. At this point, I realize that interning at the studio is going to be a challenging but rewarding task.